It was bound to happen - suspected hack

Jon Moss jon.moss at cnonline.net
Thu Oct 21 08:03:19 CDT 2004

I've been researching sshd and allowing/denying access and I think I have
figured it out.  Just please confirm that I'm on the right track.

I edited my hosts.allow as follows:

#
# hosts.allow	This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#		allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#		by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
sshd: localhost 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 12.30.163.*

And then my hosts.deny as follows:

#
# hosts.deny	This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#		*not* allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#		by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
# The portmap line is redundant, but it is left to remind you that
# the new secure portmap uses hosts.deny and hosts.allow.  In particular
# you should know that NFS uses portmap!
ALL : ALL

However, I don't really have anyway to test this as I allowed access from
everywhere that I am.  :)

Any suggestions and advice is still greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks very much,

Jon Moss
jon.moss at cnonline.net