Flat Earther Society and Dante

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Oct 19 11:21:33 CDT 2004

I never said it was "The Divine Comedy" by Dante.
I also don't remember where I saw the story noting
the exact fiction supposedly responsible for the myth.
Also, note that the "people in Columbus' time thought
the Earth was flat" myth is a recent invention.
Probably dates to the 19th century and the Flat Earth
Society. I don't know for certain, when it came about.
Might make an interesting Linux webcrawling macro.

[This is not to say that in all the ages there were not
proponents of a Flat Earth model, hell someone even proposed
the Earth was a trapezoid. They just weren't the predominant
belief, after Pliny proved the Earth was spherical that is.]