Flat Earther Society and Dante

Dustin Decker dustin.decker at 1on1security.com
Mon Oct 18 21:44:59 CDT 2004

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:55:14 -0500, Brian Densmore
> <densmoreb at ctbsonline.com> wrote:

If one reads "The Divine Comedy" (The work by Dante Alighieri cited in this
post) you will find this is not true.  I do not know if Dante himself
provided illustrations, but the version I have clearly depicts the earth as
round in Canto II.  Through the story, Dante travels _through_ the earth by
was of Jerusalem to Purgatory, which is on the other side.  (Oh and all that
hell stuff in the center!)

Given the original text was written in Italian, and the illustrations in my
reference are in English, I expect they are merely a supplement provided by
the translators.  Hard to say... my source is the Carlyle-Wicksteed
Unabridged translation, Random House circa 1932.

So... it must have been another work of fiction.
D.