Help configuring procmail (was: Help configuring fetchmail)

linux at bizniche.com linux at bizniche.com
Fri Oct 15 10:38:01 CDT 2004

> From http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=5&topic=procmailrc
>
>   If the regular expression contains ‘^TO_’ it will be substituted by
>   ‘(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To |Cc |Bcc) |(X-Envelope
>   |Apparently(-Resent)?)-To) :(.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?)’, which should catch all
>   destination specifications containing a specific address.
>
>   If the regular expression contains ‘^TO’ it will be substituted by
>   ‘(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To |Cc |Bcc) |(X-Envelope
>   |Apparently(-Resent)?)-To) :(.*[^a-zA-Z])?)’, which should catch all
>   destination specifications containing a specific word.
>
> This example shamelessly taken from http://perkypants.org/dotfiles/procmailrc
>
>   :0:
>   * ^TO_.*(jdub|jeff|president)@slug.
>   SLUG/personal
>
> Make sense?

Yes, that makes sense.  The filtering on the 'To' or 'TO' fields is
working great.  Of course that leaves out emails that are not sent
directly to my address...like kclug.

It seems that there are some header changes between emails that I
collect using Thunderbird (pop3 style) and emails that I collect from
the same server using fetchmail.  For example.

The same email sent to the kclug.  When I pop it from the server
directly, I see:

To: KCLUG<kclug at kclug.org>

That makes for easy filtering...either by the kclug addy, or by the
Envelope-To address, which would be more comprehensive it seems.

When I use fetchmail to get the same message, I see:
To: KCLUG<kclug at kclug.org>

So, when that 'Envelope-To' changes, I lose any idea (from the headers)
as to what address it was fetched from.  There is no more record of
linux at bizniche.com anywhere.

It seems that I should be doing something with X-Envelope-To, and your
message above mentions that as well.  But I don't see it anywhere.

See what I mean?

Matt