Help configuring fetchmail

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Oct 13 12:37:20 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 11:52 am, linux at bizniche.com wrote:

> Here is what's not working yet.
> 1)  Fetchmail only runs when I tell it to ...

There are a couple of ways: fetchmail -d <seconds> will use fetchmail's
internal scheduling.  This does some specific types of errorhandling for
servers that don't respond properly, and you may want to read the docs for
the specifics on this.

I prefer to run fetchmail from cron, since cron is running anyway.  This
allows me to use different config files for different times of day or days of
the week - I can leave my mail on the server so it can be fetched from both
home and work, then clean it all out at the weekend; I can check mail
frequently when I'm home and awake and infrequently when I'm away or asleep.

> 2)  I _really_ want to find out if there is way I can get fetchmail (or
> something else?) to put mail it gets from the pop accounts into IMAP
> folder based on which account it pulls from.

What are you filtering/sorting your mail with now?  You may need to filter on
the "to" address, or go a little deeper into the headers to select the pop
info.  What fetchmail does is hand mail off to the local delivery agent
(LDA), which usually handles filtering and sorting.