BitTorrent + INDUCE Act + Linspire 5.0

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Oct 12 08:33:38 CDT 2004

What Godwin's Law states and what it has come to mean are not
necessarily the same thing. There are lots of "standards"
but the real question should be what is the defacto "standard".

> It does not make any mention of who "wins" the
> discussion, a common misconception about "Godwin's
> Law".
I don't recall saying anything about winning or losing, I was
merely mentioning the fact that perhaps this discussion had gone
on long enough that some of us might have gotten the feeling we
were now members of the BitTorrent users group. ;')

For further reading and in support of my position, I contribute the
following quote and link:

quote,

"The Law is generally used on Usenet as an indicator of whether a
thread has gone on too long, who's playing fair and who's just slinging
mud, and who finally gets to "win" the discussion.  It has, over time,
become the closest thing to an impartial moderator that Usenet can get.

	So, what this means in practical terms:

	o If someone brings up Nazis in general conversation when it
	  wasn't necessary or germane without it necessarily being an
	  insult, it's probably about time for the thread to end.
	o If someone brings up Nazis in general conversation when it
	  was vaguely related but is basically being used as an insult,
	  the speaker can be considered to be flaming and not debating.
	o If someone brings up Nazis in any conversation that has been
	  going on too long for one of the parties, it can be used as
	  a fair excuse to end the thread and declare victory for the
	  other side."

and link,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Not necessarily related.

Now to go see how my Nazi memorabilia is selling over on EBay.