BitTorrent + INDUCE Act + Linspire 5.0

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Oct 11 11:29:58 CDT 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 11:17 am, Frank Wiles wrote:

>   I don't doubt they all fall under the INDUCE act, but that wasn't what
>   I was saying.  P2P means 'peer to peer'.  ftp and scp are S2P and all
>   of the others are just plain local.

What's your definition of "local"?  I rarely use ftp within my home network,
usually it's to get something from a remote, public server.  I use scp a lot
to transfer files between sites.  I use cp to transfer files between servers
over mapped network drives.

I use the Konqueror browser's ability to represent an ftp session as a
click-and-drag file copy to move <gasp> visual media from one location to
another - when I'm publishing photograps for a client.

The only difference between these programs and bittorrent is that bittorrent
uses multiple sources to copy files to multiple locations.

You can not make a moral judgement on a method of transferring files.  It just
doesn't make sense.