firewalls and webservers request for comments

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Oct 7 16:38:58 CDT 2004

Ok, y'all know I've got me one of them thar webservers
out there in the WWWild. I run a minimal firewall (aka
iptables). I'm wondering though what the consensus is
on running a full-blown firewall like say IPCop on a
server that is a busy box. My webserver is also a mail
server and naturally a webmail server. What are the benefits
of say adding a second box and running a full-metal jacket
firewall like IPCop, and can you run a webserver/mailserver
on the same box as IPCop (that is without ripping out the
guts of IPCop so it's no longer  an IPCop version but some
chopped up hacked up Frankenstein monster)?

Brian Densmore

<Bush> Kerry voted 350 times for Tax increases!
<Factcheck.org> U R an idiot, Bush. No he didn't!
<Bush> Kerry voted 98 times for tax increases!
<Factcheck.org> U R such an Idiot, Bush! No he didn't!
<Bush> Uhh... Factcheck.org is an unlawful combatant!