BitTorrent question

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Wed Oct 6 13:41:07 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 13:13 -0500, Jeremy Turner wrote:
> On Wed, October 6, 2004 12:47 pm, Frank Wiles said:
> >   I think it's more of a marketshare deal.  Not everyone has a BT
> >   client or is familiar/comfortable with it.  Everyone who is going to
> >   download a open source project can use a browser and most likely an
> >   FTP client.
>
> The major browsers have some sort of FTP client included, at the very
> least for downloading purposes.  Will the demand for BitTorrent drive
> inclusion of this technology into next-generation browsers?  Maybe
> there'll be a plugin for Firefox.  I couldn't find one on mozdev.org
> currently.

There was some talk about the possibility among developers but, IIRC,
the outcome of that talk was that Mozilla is a strictly client-oriented
piece of software. Doing a BitTorrent "client" would require
incorporating all sorts of server oriented functions in to the gecko
networking libraries.

Maybe some day (years from now) when the web is truly semantic,
BitTorrent will 'fit' in with philosophy of a 'web browser'. That is:
when everyone's browser is also their publishing system/server.