screen scrollback

Bill Cavalieri bcavalieri at lumensoftware.com
Tue Nov 30 17:53:29 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 17:19 -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 November 2004 02:49 pm, Bill Cavalieri wrote:
>
> > > The problem is that when running screen in a terminal window, screen
> > > tends to intercept the scrollback buffer.   This means that whatever
> > > you've configured for the terminal program is often irrelevant, as is the
> > > terminal program's normal scrollback function.
>
> > How is this to happen?
>
> (Meaning, aparantly, "How is normal scrollback functionality to be maintained
> when using multiple screen sessions?")
>
> That's easy:  Just like putty does it.

Your still not getting it, if you disconnect from screen window (ctrl-a
d), and then reconnect, how does putty scroll the buffer?

Answer is it doesn't, it will only scroll what happend when you were
connected to screen window.  How is that useful?  When I'll start a job
that will take 10hrs to complete, and want to see what happened when I
disconnected, and reconnet to screen window at home?

> Yes, each session in screen needs it's own buffer.  No, I'm not sure how putty
> achieves this.

It doesn't if you start a screen session, and then a second one with
ctrl-a c, what is happening on the first screen window session is not
going to be in putty's buffer, past when you switched screen windows, a
lot could have gone by, only way to know this is to ctrl-a esc, and look
at screen's buffer, not putty's.

> I'm also not able to check to make sure putty works with multiple screen
> sessions, if at all.  I do know that my default xterm will not scroll back
> with a _single_ screen session - the buffer indicator goes to 100% when I
> launch screen.

That is because you are confusing screen with xterm, they are not the
same.  xterm is a terminal, screen is a (cut from man page) "Screen  is
a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a physical terminal
between several processes (typically interactive shells)."

> I have read the manuals, which is why I find it frustrating when people on the
> list just quote man pages at me regarding this.  They don't actually address
> the problem.
>
> Thank YOU very much though, you found the answer:
>
> Place
>
> termcapinfo xterm ti@:te@
>
> in your .screenrc file.
>
> (better yet in /etc/screenrc)

Well all the answers found so far have been in the man pages.  Along
with explanation as to what screen is.

And the whole scrolling thing, is not a screen issue anyways, its
xterm's, which I how I found that link.  xterm does not allow scrolling
when the alternate text buffer is uses, ie other applications like vi,
nano, etc..