Linux Backups: Tape Drives

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Nov 20 23:19:53 CST 2004

On Saturday 20 November 2004 07:40 pm, Monty J. Harder wrote:

> <dustin.decker at 1on1security.com> wrote:

> > I had a client some 7 years ago that had SCSI controller X, it shot
> > craps, and data couldn't be recovered from drives because the firmware on
> > the RAID controller was likewise not available, used a "funky" algorithm,
> > etc. (Novell was part of that problem IIRC.)

>   This is one of two reasons I recommend disabling any hardware
> compression, and using software compression instead.

Note that Dustin's account has nothing to do with hardware compression - which
is reasonably consistent among different manufacturers of compatible tape
drives.  If the tape will mount on the drive, chances are the drive will read
it, compression and all.

Software compression on the other hand, particularly if performed by a
propietary program (say that three times fast), can be a guarantee of loss of
data if you end up unable to run the origninal software version for some
reason (lost or corrupted license key, customer support not available nights
and weekends except at premium rates, etc.).