Server Distributions

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Nov 18 17:39:16 CST 2004

Therein lies the rub. It is not all that trivial to
make it and keep it working properly. Especially if you
go trying to run certain specific apps or when you have
one app that gets removed from the portage list. I've
had portage break on me several times, but maybe I'm
Not that portage isn't a great package management utility.
It's far far better than rpm. But you still have to compile
everything. In the time it take you to run one portage, I
can run a dozen apt-get update && apt-get upgrades, given
equivalent systems and not off-loading the compiles to a
compile-farm.

Don't get me wrong, I like gentoo. I just think that
debian is the easiest and most stable methods of running Linux
and keeping it up to date. The only thing that would be better
is tweaked debian the way SuSE, Mandrake and RH tweak the kernel
and other code to run better. Most of those tweaks find their
way back into the community, but not necessarily all.

Brian D.