SuSE Package Management

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Nov 18 11:53:59 CST 2004

I think there are issues with SuSE that are very dependent on _exactly_ which
version you're using, and from what source.

On Thursday 18 November 2004 11:37 am, Rich Edelman wrote:
> > > Is it possible to run yast from the cli and have it update everything
> > > available, the way one can with up2date -uf on Red Hat?

> Sure it's possible. You can see it all graphically by running 'yast
> online_update', which launches the curses based online update module.

Does this really work with the downloaded versions of 9.x?  The install option
doesn't work as documented, I'd be surprised if this does.

> SuSE offers the latest Gnome, KDE, and X.org packages in their
> supplementary tree on their FTP site.

BE WARNED:  There have been SERIOUS issues with these packages being corrupt,
badly built, and with suites such as KDE not being correctly distributed to
all of the mirrors.

I was very encouraged about SuSE's future when Novell hosted 9.0 on their very
solid FTP servers, but it's still 9.0 - so much for progress.