SuSE Package Management

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Nov 18 11:17:11 CST 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 11:07 am, Dave Hull wrote:

> Is it possible to run yast from the cli and have it update everything
> available, the way one can with up2date -uf on Red Hat?

Not as far as I know.  You have to step through the menu selection process.
As I said, the documentation claims that you can specify a package on the
command line, but doing so just takes you to the selection menu.

> We've had very good results with Red Hat EL AS 3, but our subscriptions are
> less than 60 days from expiration so we wanted to look at SLES before we
> renewed our RH subscriptions.

> We're running a couple instances of Oracle DB and their Application Server
> on a few Red Hat servers. But Novell and Oracle are now claiming that SuSE
> is the fastest platform available for running Oracle, largely due to SLES
> use of the 2.6 kernel that contains "significant" IO enhancements.

I'm surprised at how long it's taking RH and others to get the 2.6 kernel
integrated into their distributions.

My clients could never afford RHEL subscriptions.  They were ok with the
$60/year price, but when RH screwed us all they stuck with their 7.x
installations.  I really wish I knew what to recommend to them.