SuSE Package Management (was Re: SENDMAIL - HELP - SUSE)

Jim Herrmann kclug at itdepends.com
Wed Nov 17 22:24:33 CST 2004

YAST has ncurses capability.  Actually, I think it started there, and
later added the GUI.

http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse91/suselinux-adminguide/html/ch03.html

Enjoy,
Jim

Dave Hull wrote:

>Quoting Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org>:
>

>>SuSE's package management is much less flexible than the other distros; in
>>the 9.x and later releases you can only use the GUI interface.  (There's
>>always straight RPM, but that doesn't fetch dependencies for you.)
>>

>I haven't tried SuSE... yet, but this is interesting. Is there no way to do a
>command-line only install with no X system? If so, does the package management
>system use ncurses or something or similar?
>
>If it's really not possible to have a text based SuSE install, then I probably
>won't bother trying it out. I prefer to keep my servers lean and mean. The less
>crap I can install on a box the better.
>
>--
>Dave Hull
>http://insipid.com

Progressive Values ARE American Values
Responsibility, Empathy, Freedom, Opportunity, Prosperity, Fairness,
Trust, Honesty, Open Communication, Community, Cooperation