Proposed Web site redesign (beta)

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Fri Nov 12 11:13:23 CST 2004

Gerald Combs wrote:
> In short, I think modern web designers have an irrational phobia of tables.

Irrational, perhaps. But well motivated. I realize that the larger
question that you, as the page author, are concerned with is 'who will
be using my site?' For the most part, that undoubtably is going to be
people browsing visually with a full screen computer. Arguably, since
Ethereal doesn't run on PDA's or cell phones; it will be the only
audience that matters. And that's fine.

Some pages (like the LUG's), however, have a general information
conveyance purpose -- again, for the most part, the primary audience
will be the above mentioned PC browsers. However, if a little extra
effort could be thrown in to allow the page to /gracefully/ degrade to
render with sematic meaning on a PDA, cell phone, braile reading, screen
reader, and spiders then there's a possibility that the time investment
is worth it; personally, I have become so familiar with CSS that I just
always do it -- I try to make no assumptions about the viewing audience.

With regard to your troubles with CSS, perhaps I could offer some
assistance. You are right in your assessment of the myriad of CSS
'solutions' that exist. Though, it's not a fundamental design flaw in
semantic design -- those myriad of options have been motivated by a
fundamental design flaw in IE's box model and IE's 'interpretation' of
the standard.

For the most part, to accomplish the three collumn layout you described
with a definitive aspect ratio, you merely use absolute positioning with
doubly nested <div>'s to work around IE's problems. To accomplish a
version that adjusts to the browser width is definetly more complicated
but not unattainable. Again, the cost-benefit ratio has to be considered.

Check out the source of http://www.mozilla.org/ for a moderate
complexity example of CSS design with an absolute width.