Top 500 Supercomputers

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Nov 9 15:08:11 CST 2004

http://clusters.top500.org/

Although the site *still* doesn't break down the computers
by OS, you will note that 3 or 4 of the top 5 are Linux
machines (1,2,4?,5). Anyone know what IBM blades run?
Also perusing the list you will also note that more than half of
the top 500 run Linux. So we can safely say now that Linux is
the dominant OS for supercomputers. I also saw an article on cnet
yesterday about M$ getting ready to release their own cluster friendly
version of Windows. They changed the name (surprise) from HPC to
Compute Cluster Edition. Oh and it won't run on Itaniums only X86.
Which begs the question, will it work on AMD chips? One thing I noticed
a bit odd is that there are not more people building clusters with
the AMD 64. I would think the chip would have to scream in clusters.

In other news, Mozilla slashdotted itself today.
The servers are clogged by downloads of Firefox 1.0.

Brian D.