'lsof -o' under Linux

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Tue Nov 2 12:56:45 CST 2004

On Tue, November 2, 2004 12:44 pm, Jason Clinton said:
> Gerald Combs wrote:
>> Does anyone know if it's possible to make lsof (or any other utility)
>> print file descriptor offsets under Linux?  It seems like this ought to
>> work, it being 2004 and all.
>
> I'm interested in knowing this as well. Some Googling hasn't turned up
> anything useful, so far. Just to be clear, you want to know what byte
> offset that a particular file descriptor for a particular process is
> sitting at, right?

$ lsof -o > /dev/null
lsof: WARNING: can't report offset; disregarding -o.

>From the manpage:

-o       This  option directs lsof to display file offset at all times.
         It causes the SIZE/OFF output column title to  be  changed  to
         OFFSET.   Note:  on some UNIX dialects lsof can't obtain accu-
         rate or consistent file offset  information  from  its  kernel
         data  sources,  sometimes  just  for particular kinds of files
         (e.g., socket files.)  Consult the lsof FAQ (The  FAQ  section
         gives its location.)  for more information.

         The  -o and -s options are mutually exclusive; they can't both
         be specified.  When neither is specified, lsof displays  what-
         ever value - size or offset - is appropriate and available for
         the type of the file.

>From the FAQ: http://ftp.cerias.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/sysutils/lsof/FAQ

3.20	Why doesn't lsof report file offset (position)?

	Lsof won't report a file offset (position) value if the -s
	option has been specified, or if the dialect doesn't support
	the displaying of file offset (position).

	That lsof is reporting only file size is indicated by the
	fact that the appropriate column header says SIZE instead
	of SIZE/OFF.

	If lsof doesn't support the displaying of file offset
	(position) -- e.g., for Linux /proc-based lsof -- the -h
	or -? output panel won't list the -o option.

	Sometimes the availability of file offset information
	depends on the dialect's kernel.  This is particularly true
	for socket file offsets.

	Maintenance of offsets for pseudo-terminal devices varies
	by UNIX dialect and is related to how the dialect kernel
	implements pseudo-terminal support.  Kernels like AIX, for
	example, that short-circuit the transfer of data between
	socket and pseudo devices to reduce TCP/IP daemon interrupt
	rates won't advance offsets in the TCP/IP daemon socket
	files.  Instead they will advance offsets in the open
	standard I/O files of the shell child precess where the
	pseudo-terminal devices are used.

	When in doubt about the behavior of lsof in reporting file
	offset information, do some carefully measured experiments,
	consult the lsof sources, or contact me at <abe at purdue.edu>
	to discuss the matter.  Please follow the reporting guidelines
	in the "How do I report an lsof bug?" section of this FAQ.

I'm guessing maybe there's something involved in the kernel?

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>
Linux Tips and News! ---> http://linuxwebguy.com