.tar.gz in Knoppix

Richard A. Franklin raldenfranklin at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 21 19:31:27 CDT 2004

Brian Kelsay wrote:

>On editing: You've used notepad on Winders?
>http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/vi/ref.html  is a Vi command reference.
>http://www.vim.org/htmldoc/intro.html is a Vim command reference.
>http://camden-www.rutgers.edu/UNIXhelp/pico/ref.html  reference for pico, which should be on most
Debian systems.  I may be confusing myself with nano, but pico is dead easy and my favorite.  I
like being able to move around w/ cursor/arrow keys.
>http://cip.physik.uni-freiburg.de/cgi-bin/info2www?(nano)  here's one on nano, which is similar to
nano.
>http://www.pointandclicklinux.com/node/view/27  has some info on using kwrite, but the screenshots
haven't been added yet.  It's from a book in progress that I'm looking forward to.  All about Linux
migration.  It would be one that I could point people to and say, get this.

>This link has a syllabus for a class on transitioning to Linux.
http://www.granneman.com/teaching/fvwindowstolinux/archives/spr03syllabus.htm   There are a lot of
valuable tutorial links on there.  Anything from IBM is very clear and easy to use.  The originator
of Gentoo, Daniel Robbins, wrote much of the howto docs on the IBM site.

Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye.  http://www.marcelgagne.com/

>Chew on that.  My head hurts.  I guess the alcohol hasn't worn off yet.
>

>Brian Kelsay

LOTS to chew on, thanks much ... I shall take the tutorial tour over the
weekend, and beyond.

BTW (slightly off this topic), the Kaffeine media player is now apt
available. Some improvement over the release bundled with SUSE 9.0 last
fall. Played /some /Windows Media without having to fetch additional
packages.

I am slightly over commercial distros, as most of my hurdles have been
with media playback, and spending bucks on boxed sets does not solve the
problem, but a little research often does. At least that has been my
experience.

Rick