Gentoo Linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Mar 30 02:44:10 CST 2004

On Friday, March 26, 2004 01:02 pm, Leo J Mauler wrote:

> Okay, it looks like the favored distro other than Debian and SuSE (and
> Slackware from one vocal supporter :), is Gentoo.

> Does Gentoo do any hardware autodetection, or will I still be stuck
> picking from lists, and guessing at settings, and hoping I got the right
> driver?

Something you may have missed is that Gentoo is typically compiled at
installation.  While it's possible to do a binary compile, it's hardly the
distribution for someone who struggles with menu-based configurations.

Again, I suggest Linux from Scratch for you.  By the time you complete your
installation you should know things like how to configure the shell.