Finding obsolete RAM

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 28 19:26:32 CST 2004

>From: Richard Edelman <rcedelman at comcast.net>
>
> > 64MB of 72-pin SIMMs (four 16MB SIMMs) right now for $1, $5 shipping.
> > Locally I could resell them for about $1 a MB.  :)
> >
>Ebay, eh? I've got 8 or so 16mb SIMMs, some 32mb SIMMs, and a couple 64mb
>DIMMs laying around that I've gotten for free. All are known to work, too.
>
>Any takers?
>
>Rich

If no one else has a more pressing need they may end up in a testbed for
ramdisk based picoservers ...

The rest of this is a paste from scratchpad of something we were kicking
around last night .
While not properly connected to the disposal of used memory- it IS a use for
it .

After reading the below and while reading consider the results of ignoring
malware proliferation .

Halfbaked concept borrowing from many sources  is to have a microdistro no
gui or cruft other than fileserver and use that for a virus/worm airlock .
This "sandboxed" bomb examination level box would be connected to the net
link thru an " A/B/C " mechanical ethernet switch . A is the " Web " . B is
" No Connection "
C is " semitrusted space "  There will be a near zero chance of any malware
turning a mechanical switch . It thus only can connect to your _maybe_
trusted intralan or mailserver /whatever else AFTER a human operator has
vetted the contents of that ramspace .

Yes . I agree this would be a PITA beyond conception for most applications .
HIPPA anyone ?

Paranoid ? Or could be not good enough ?  After getting the concept degubbed
it may have some other utilities in worm/virii " Firedoor" area. IF we get
the promised by pundits explosion of mutant morphic destructive virii it may
be too little too late . Allegedly some malware variants  are flirting with
AI level in stealthing /spoofing etc. Rulesets and filters ,
Challenge/response , David's " Include phrase  " will never be comparable to
a human scanning some if not all information . Sad but true.

Malicious coding will be with us always untill humanity outgrows such crud .
Damage control is our job. If we or others more capable do nothing I fear
the net may actually sink under the weight .
It's said that Deity of certain beliefs protects fools and children . The
instrumentality likely used by my take is barely more capable fools .
Foolish or not any meager bite out of net decay we can take is worth it .

Oren

" Visualise a place where 13 of 15 persons walking thru the door are intent
on shoplifting , vandalism , Identity Theft , or variants of all such crimes
  . Oh? You must mean the Internet . "