Third Choice of Linux Distro?

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Mar 25 15:33:56 CST 2004

>>> Kendrick-LUG <> 03/25/04 05:40AM >>>
>Greg Kedrovsky wrote:
>
>>You know, maybe it's just newbie stupidity, but I could never get
>>Bering working. I was big-time disappointed, too. I have Freesco running
>>right now. It was embarrassingly easy to configure. I wanna try out IP
>>Cop one of these days, too.
>>
>>-Greg
>>

>I was never a fan of IPCop.  Astaro firewall wasn't much better in my book.
>64MB ram min. I believe just for a firewall, ah well...
>
>I say every one [should use] caldera.
>
>/me runs for the hills.
>
>;)

Kendrick, from your post I can tell two things.  First, you didn't read the IPCop documentation.
You only need 64MB if you want to run the Squid proxy or if you experience slowness from running
the IDS (SNORT).  Please RTFM and report back.
Secondly, I can tell that your custom keyboard project has gotten only as far as being able to use
letters.  Punctuation, shift keys and spell check are forthcoming I hope.

This message sanitized, spell-checked, punctuated and grammar corrected for your viewing pleasure.

>From the docs:   http://www.ipcop.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/IPCop/IPCopHCLv01
/quote
IPCop requires at least the following configuration to run:

    * CPU: 386
    * RAM: 8MB
    * IDE Harddisk: 100MB (version 0.1.1)
      125Mb (version 1.2.0)
      125Mb + 2 times RAM size (version 1.3.0)
      Support for SCSI drives is included in v1.4.0.

Additionally, at least one NIC (Network Interface Card) is required for connecting to the local
network and you need an interface for connecting to the external network, for example an analogue
modem or an isdn modem.

Note -- AngusSF - 15 Mar 2002: Some users report that 16-20mb is required for the initial install.
An install on a 486/66 w/8MB failed for me several times, but once I increased RAM to 20MB it
completed.

Note -- RogerEisenecher - 13 Feb 2003: For a IPCop V1.2.0 installation the memory requirement
depends on the size of your harddisk. For a 100 MB harddisk 24 MB ram where enough. With less than
24 MB the installation will fail (the setup program restarts). If you plan to use a large harddisk
(ex. 50 GB) you need at least 28 MB ram to install IPCop else the installation program will fail.
/quote

I would assume this is due to the limitation/requirements of the RedHat 7.3 installer, since IPCop
is RH 7.3 underneath.  Remember a while back, Leo Mauler had trouble installing RH on a low memory
machine.  I have IPCop running on a P-166 w/ 64MB and a 1-2GB HDD.  I think only 24MB is used.
This is due to additional ramdisks created when Ram is available.  Once install is complete the CD
can be removed and the floppy drive is used for backup of user config.  Admin is done through a
browser on another PC on the local net.
http://www.ipcop.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/IPCop/IPCopQuickStart

Brian Kelsay