Staroffice formerly Re: knoppix

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Tue Mar 23 08:53:38 CST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 04:37:23 +0000 lerninlinux at comcast.net writes:
> On this whole Openoffice MySql debate,  you mentioned the difference
> between MS Office standard and Pro.  If you check out Sun's site,
> Staroffice comes with a database, Openoffice doesn't.  It's a way to
> get you to pay, albeit cheaper then Microsoft.

I remember the problem with the Adabas database that could be integrated
with StarOffice 5.1 and 5.2: while StarOffice was free for personal use,
you had to "sign" a second agreement for the Adabas system as Adabas was
a third-party add-on to StarOffice.

So Sun's new version of StarOffice (6.0?) continues the tradition of the
database being more proprietary than the original suite.