Speaker for May 5 meeting

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Mon Mar 22 14:22:23 CST 2004

Hey guys.
Saturday I took a tour of Fox 4 News with my son's Cub Scout group.  When we were checking out the
weather desk where Joe Lauria puts together his reports and graphics, guess what I found?  A
Windows box and a Linux box.  I was a bit surprised to see the Gnome foot and the GIMP graphic on
his toolbar, but after further reflection I probably shouldn't have been.  You all know that
*every* movie studio uses Linux for animation, digital mixing of scenes and touch up of scenes.  I
mentioned to him an article I recently read in Linux Journal about a mapping and battle scenario
program that the Navy is implementing on Linux that looked *very* similar to what he was doing with
the weather.

Anyway, after a short conversation about the benefits of Linux and how he uses it, I asked if he
would like to come to one of our meetings.  Joe has tentatively agreed to come to the May 5 meeting
and speak about how he uses Linux in his daily work.

I need to know if we are going to still be at Foss or if we will switch back to the downtown
library.  Anyone know if the library will be ready by then for sure?

Brian Kelsay