Gnoppix "RC"

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Mar 17 16:56:10 CST 2004

In case you are interested, here is a list of most liveCDs out there, many are Knoppix derivatives.
I have posted this before, but you may have missed it.

Yes, RC is Release Candidate.  Gnoppix aims to be Knoppix, but w/ all GTK/Gnome-enabled GPL apps.
You might try the Morphix Gnome release as it has been out a bit longer.  The Morphix and Gnoppix
projects were supposedly cooperating on development, but I'm not sure of the details.

In the LiveCD arena I  have used, DamnSmall, Flonix, Morphix, Gnoppix, Knoppix, systemrescuecd,
Knoppmyth, Knoppix4Kids, Dynebolic, movix2, PHLAK, Demolinux.   I intend to try out Mepis, Bonzai,
Knoppix-Opengroupware, Local Area Security and clusterKnoppix.  I love being able to try out a
distro without waiting on an install.  Now I can have lots of OSes without swapping drives or
making the PC multiboot.  This is the wave of the future.  I think every distro will go this way
and then allow you to update everything immediately after install to the latest release, with a
choice of stable, testing, bleeding edge or security updates only.

Only problem with installing something like the full blown Knoppix for me is if I don't have a CDRW
in a PC, I get all this extra software installed, same w/ TV card and other devices.  The other
problem is that, as far as I know, once you install to disk, you lose the autodection of hardware.
So If you plan on putting a device in the PC, you should do so before install to make your life
easier.

Brian Kelsay

>>> Greg Kedrovsky <greg at iglesia-del-este.com> 03/17/04 08:17AM >>>
Since I downloaded Knoppix to solve a virus problem in a Windows
machine, I've kinda been curious about other flavors of Knoppix. I have
v3.3 and also Knoppix STD (Security Tools Distribution). I downloaded
the ISOs and burned them no problem.