"Cyber cafe" timekeeping software

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Tue Mar 16 16:46:52 CST 2004

All true, but we're talking about controlling usage for the kids in the
household, not paying customers.

- Kevin

             Jonathan Hutchins
             <hutchins at tarcanf
             el.org>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  kclug at kclug.org
             owner-kclug at kclug                                          cc
             .org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: "Cyber cafe" timekeeping
             03/16/2004 10:17          software
             AM

On Monday March 15 2004 01:47 pm, KRFinch at dstsystems.com wrote:

> Just me, but I wouldn't automatically log them out after 5 minutes of
> inactivity.  If it kept them logged in and chewed up their hours faster,
> they would soon develop the habit of logging out when they were done,
which
> is a good computing habit to have.  You figure if everything you are
> talking about is in place, the most it would chew up is an hour at a time
> anyway.

In a commercial situation this would be a real headache, as it would
generate
a lot of customer complaints - complaints that would have to be handled by
barrista or some equivalent, who wouldn't have any real input to
management's
policies.

A lot of American companies make the mistake of being very greedy and
draconian when they're introducing new technology.  I think this is done
with
the impression that "early adopters" will pay just about anything for the
privilige of use, and will put up with abuse.  This has the effect of
souring
a lot of people who might be interested in early adoption, but won't put up

with the abuse.  The negative reputation these companies build this way
lingers long after they straighten things out and adopt more reasonable
policies.