knoppix

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Mar 16 16:05:38 CST 2004

On Monday March 15 2004 09:25 am, Leo J Mauler wrote:

> NTFS support is only guaranteed for *reading* NTFS filesystems.  Writing
> to or deleting from a NTFS filesystem isn't generally supported in Linux

I keep hearing people expound about this, and it just isn't true.  R/W support
for NTFS has been available for years.

When I first used it on NT4 systems several years ago, it was pretty customary
for it to set the "dirty" bit on the FAT so that Windows would do a partition
scan for errors when it was next started up, but support was soon improved so
that this wasn't necessary.

It's apparent that some people do experience problems.  This may happen more
on compressed NTFS volumes, I don't know, but one of the responses to this
has been the development of "captive NTFS drivers".  These use portions of
the Windows code from the Windows partition itself.  The partition is mounted
read-only, and then scanned for the DLL files that include the proprietary
code.  Once these have been accessed by the Linux drivers, the partition can
be re-mounted in read-write mode.

I used a Linux Defender CD that included Captive NTFS and a virus scanner on a
system a few weeks ago, and it worked just fine.  I did observe that some of
the temporary MSIE files were not deletable, but didn't investigate the
issue.  (Linux Defender is yet another Knoppix derivative.)

As everyone keeps insisting, you run R/W NTFS access at your own risk to the
data - but I recommend that before you preach about how well it does or
doesn't work, you do some work yourself to try both the native Linux drivers
and the "Captive" drivers.