install question

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Mar 16 15:00:44 CST 2004

Hmm, strange. Not going to ask why you re-installed debian.
Hopefully you've installed apt.
Uf you have apt, try :
# apt-get check

if that doesn't show any errors then try
dpkg --list xfree*

if X isn't installed then this should install it:
# apt-get install <your desktop of choice>
(gnome,kde,xfce4)

Also you should probably run "modconf" and make sure
you have any video modules installed that you need for
an ati or radeon card (not necessarily relevant to the
curent problem). I did notice strange behavior from my
debian installs over the weekend. Debian seemed to notice
that I had done previous installs, and the way I fixed that
was to initialize all the partitions except the home partition.

Hope this helps, I'm still a debian newbie myself.

Brian