Advice: Virus on Win2k

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Fri Mar 12 17:12:31 CST 2004

You probably could have booted to your Windows 2000 CD and tried to repair
the installation from there.  If the repair didn't work, there's a way to
do a reinstall Win2k into the same system folder.  It will roll everything
back to the original program files from the CD while still retaining all of
your program and application settings and all of your data.  You will have
to reapply your service packs again after it is done, but I have seen very
few Win2k problems that won't let you boot after you perform that
operation.

Thanks!

Kevin Finch
Network Administrator
DST Systems, Inc.
816/435-6039
krfinch at dstsystems.com

             Greg Kedrovsky
             <greg at iglesia-del
             -este.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  kclug <kclug at kclug.org>
             owner-kclug at kclug                                          cc
             .org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Advice: Virus on Win2k
             03/10/2004 10:10
             PM

             Please respond to
              Greg Kedrovsky
             <greg at iglesia-del
                -este.com>

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 06:50:54AM -0600, Greg Kedrovsky wrote:
> I have a machine on my LAN that must have gotten infected by a virus.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded. Here's where I'm
at (just in case you wanted to know...):

  The F8 to Safe Mode did not work. Locked up on boot sequence.

  I'm in the process of downloading Knoppix. 700 meg on my "broad" band
  (128k) is going to take a while. So, I don't have an answer for how
  this is gonna work.

  Thanks for the link to the small "how to" recover a disk using
  Knoppix.

  Thanks for the link to the free antivirus.

I appreciate all the help.

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4.1i on Slackware 9.1 Linux