SCO question

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Mar 11 14:42:59 CST 2004

Let me dismantle this illogical statemnet bit by bit.

1) He appears to be mixing multipple things together that are actually very
seperate thing.
2) The cases with IBM, Novell, Autozone, and Daimler-Chrysler all have contract issues. The general
Linux community does not. SCO cannot sue individual users of Linux based on contract law. If they
sue any individual Linux user it must be on anything but contract law.
3) The patent issue is dead, they have taken that one out of the picture. That is not to say they
wouldn't or couldn't try to make a new lawsuit based on that. But bear in mind that Unix version 32
was deemed by the court to be in public domain in the BSDi case. Any case that SCO makes pased on
patent must exist solely in sysV. So all those header files and ABI stuff that predates sysV can't
be admitted as evidence of patented technology. Or SCO would have to get the BSDi case reopened and
have the Unix v32 code declared not in the public domain.
4) Even if the GPL is decalred not legal all that will do is invalidate the license to distribute
Linux (a very big if). All the copyrights will remain in force and the authors will merely have to
grant rights to users to distribute.
5) It has already been determined by the courts that you cannot copyright
ideas and structures. That is why "clean-room" defenses work. This dates way back to the days of
Ford, early 1900s if not earlier. A specific case involving computer software is the
Apple-Microsoft-Xerox case. I don't have the specifics of it. But as we know MS copied (poorly
granted) the look and feel of the Appple (aka Xerox) desktop.

I think that pretty much debunks this author. Just more FUD, nothing to see here, move along.

Humbly submitted for you viewing approval,
Brian