Sort-of OT: Minix

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Mar 8 00:24:34 CST 2004

On Sunday, March 07, 2004 05:36 am, Leo J Mauler wrote:

> It does appear that MFM/RLL isn't supported, as the
> docs only talk about IDE hard drives.  This means that your IBM PC will
> be running Minix entirely on floppies, though you can probably load up
> Minix on your 286's hard drive.

As usual, your logic escapes me.  Why not just drop an ISA IDE controller in
it, and run your CD and HD off it?

I wouldn't be surprised if the older drives worked though - remember that most
of what IDE does is move some of the controller hardware to the HD circuit
board.  The drive is still running something like RLL, it's just being
interpreted closer to the disc hardware.  The IDE "controller" is really more
of a bus adapter.