Faking "Internet Explorer" using other browsers

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sun Mar 7 09:43:14 CST 2004

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:03:07 -0600 Jason Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com>
writes:
> Leo J Mauler wrote:
> | How do you tell another webserver that you are
> | using "Internet Explorer" when you're really using
> | Mozilla?
>
> http://useragentswitcher.mozdev.org/

Well, it appears I'm just going to have to figure out how to put Internet
Explorer back on my computers.  I deleted MSIE off my Win98 systems a
long time ago and switched entirely to Mozilla.

I also E-mailed this issue to a friend of mine who still uses IE
sometimes (he prefers Mozilla for the popup blocking).  He just now sent
me a user-agent-string off his Win98 MSIE 5.0 browser (various places
will tell you your user agent string of your particular browser).

The User Agent Switcher lists this user agent string to pretend to be
"MSIE 6.0":

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)

And my friend sent me this string from his MSIE 5.0 browser:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 98; DigExt)

He says the job application form for www.liveops.com loads just fine in
his MSIE 5.0 browser.  I've tried both user agent strings in the User
Agent Switcher: neither one loads the job application form for the above
site.  Apparently this company uses much more specific methods to
determine your browser than just your user agent string.

So are there other things you can do to fake out their server into
thinking your Mozilla browser is MSIE?