small Linuxes [was Palm Router}

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Mar 2 16:26:13 CST 2004

Yes, but when are they going to make one for
my old 8088 with 640KB on a 20MB HD? Hmm...?

Those were the days, when it only took a box of
floppies to back up your system! Now it takes me
a week just to haul the floppies up from storage. ;')
<1388 floppies on the floor, 1388 floppies ...
(I'll leave it for an exercise what size HD)>

Seriuosly though, what could one use a 386 for
these days? A router? A text-based web browser?
A text based text editor? Is there even a light
enough X Windows implementation to use on it?
It wouldn't make a really good firewall, I wouldn't think.
Unless it was a stateless packet filtering one.
You wouldn't want to try and use open office on it
or KDE. It might be an interesting thing to do
to see how many uses we could come up with one of these old
PCs.