generating a patch

Brian D quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 05:46:42 CST 2004

--- Jason Clinton wrote:

> Well, I've done it. I've downloaded the source and
> made my first set of
> modifications to an open source product and now the
> maintainer would
> like me to submit a patch back to him. Question is:
> how do I do that? :)
Nice work!

> ... would you be insulted if
> someone ... reformatted all
> the code to make it more readable?
Well, I always format my code in a particular way I
like it.
I often find myself reformatting code that I work on
when
someone else wrote it, or code I inherit. I'd be
anooyed if someone reformatted my code extensively.
But that's just me.
I take my code with pride. Even when it is highly
obfuscated.

My recommendation is to fix the code and then ask how
he feels about you sending him a diff with
reformatted/commented code.

Brian