Palm Router

Kendric Beachey ak at kc.rr.com
Tue Mar 2 04:03:11 CST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 09:46, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 09:56, Brian Kelsay wrote:
> > > What's a Palmrouter?

> > It's a little router from a company called XSense.  Not very well known,
> > but has all the features I could think of.  Mine has worked OK for the
> > past 18 months or so.  I think I got it for about $50 from Micro Center.
>
> On Monday March 1 2004 08:15 am, Brian Kelsay wrote:
> > All the links I found for this little sucker showed it at $67.95 or higher.
>
> Kendric must be the better shopper.

Yay me!  :-)

> >  I got my SMC wireless gateway/firewall/switch for $59 and I think it had a
> > $20 rebate.  The only positive thing I saw on this router is that it has
> > two serial ports so you could connect up to 2 modems.  Wouldn't do much for
> > you on cable internet.
>
> ... except give you a backup connection, possibly up to 128k if it could bind
> two dial-up links. I think that would be rather useful, although the last
> time my cable modem went out it was the big ice storm and that took the phone
> line out too.

Hmm.  What you guys describe doesn't sound like what I've got.  Mine is
the PR-100.  You might have better luck searching for it under the
manufacturer "MacSense" rather than XSense.  They seem to be evil twins,
or two different names for the same thing.

Anyway, my PalmRouter is a fairly straightforward 4-port device, with an
extra "uplink" port so you could ostensibly daisy-chain several of them
together (although you apparently would have had to buy them all on that
one day at Micro Center, since they seem extinct now).
--
Kendric Beachey