List etiquette

Hal Duston hduston at speedscript.com
Mon Mar 1 20:03:42 CST 2004

I realize we are heavy into an election cycle again and all.

Jim Herrmann wrote:
> I thought you might be interested MoveOn's "Geek Organizer" Job Fair.
>
> Sorry about the off topic post, but I thought that some of you might
> consider this a good opportunity to use your geekness to work with a
> cause. Those who live off the right deep end, need not apply.

s/Those who live off the right deep end/Republicans/
and this isn't a problem for me.

Blackburn, Chris X [Ecco Select] wrote:
> This filter is for the MoveOn Trash in this list (KCLUG).  Yes, I
> could unsubscribe and probably will if there is much more off-topic
> garbage in here.

s/Trash/postings/;s/garbage/postings/

Jason Clinton wrote:
> Off-topic garbage like how to extend pathetic Microsoft email clients
> to filter out specific words that others may or may not be interested
> in filtering? You still haven't gotten it after all of that
> discussion? It was a _job posting_.

"_may_ or may not be interested in filtering"  Isn't that where filters
belong?  At the client?  And if some people wish to filter job postings
doesn't that reduce the competition for those same jobs?  I fail to see
how it's a bad thing for any applicants.  And I suspect that an
organization networking through MoveOn would never be interested in
persons wanting to filter MoveOn emails.  So it's a _good_ thing for
them as well.  I can't find _any_ losers in the scenario.

> Grow up or good riddance.

Chris Blackburn unsubscribed Mon Mar 1 at 12:37 CST 2004.

Statistics for list kclug as of Mon Mar  1 13:03:37 CST 2004

    310 unique subscribed addresses.
    181 unique domains.
    158 domains occurring only once.

Top five domains:
     36 kc.rr.com
     21 yahoo.com
     20 hotmail.com
     12 comcast.net
      8 swbell.net

Sometimes I think things would be better served if the _sender_ of the
email would press the delete key rather than expecting some portion of
the 310 subscribers to do so.

--
Hal Duston
Webmaster, KCLUG