Palm Router

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Mon Mar 1 16:18:57 CST 2004

Brian Kelsay

>>> Jonathan Hutchins <> 03/01/04 09:46AM >>>
>> On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 09:56, Brian Kelsay wrote:
>> > What's a Palmrouter?

>> It's a little router from a company called XSense.  Not very well known,
>> but has all the features I could think of.  Mine has worked OK for the
>> past 18 months or so.  I think I got it for about $50 from Micro Center.

>On Monday March 1 2004 08:15 am, Brian Kelsay wrote:
>> All the links I found for this little sucker showed it at $67.95 or higher.

>Kendric must be the better shopper.

>... except give you a backup connection, possibly up to 128k if it could bind
>two dial-up links. I think that would be rather useful, although the last
>time my cable modem went out it was the big ice storm and that took the >phone line out too.

If I wanted a router that had the serial port I already have my Linux Router.  Lucky for me, IPCop
has diald and is able to initiate a connection over modem.  When I used Freesco (Free Cisco), it
would do the same.  I just never had a need for this functionality.  You can also use it to dialin
remotely and get Internet access over your cable modem, effectively becoming your own dialup ISP.
I have not set this up either, but if I had to travel you can bet I would.   This is exactly what
Jon ended up setting up for her husband to use from work to get email, although she used a
different distro.

So my solution is (cost of old hardware+$0 for distro+few hours of setting it up=very tweakable
Linux Router)