Yet another Linux on the desktop article

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Jul 28 13:41:02 CDT 2004

I definitely don't want to see this, http://registry.sourceforge.net/ for Linux unless it's just an
alternate way to view config files which should live w/ the applications dn disappear when it is
gone.   An uninstall script for an app should ask if you wish to keep any customized config files,
but beyond that the app should go away.  I think that many developers will see that Gnome is still
too much of a moving target and go with KDE.  Hopefully, KDE will continue to use the best desktop
ideas and cull the rest.  Gnome, they keep bloating to the point that it won't run on my hardware.
I run KDE and load GTK libs so I can run "g" apps and life is good.  On older hardware I run
Fluxbox, Icewm or XFCE and life is good.  I don't' have any problems running various desktops, but
the useablility study stuff is mainly for the beginner, after you learn about a desktop you can
configure it so that it works the way you want it.  I find this is even true with the windows
desktops.  I show people simply little tricks/features all the time that they didn't know existed.

Brian Kelsay

>>> Rex Deaver <rdeaver at yahoo.com> 07/27/04 05:28PM >>>
Go ahead and break out the hot pokers...the article is 100% correct. The standards he cites are
mandatory for success: these standards will come in the form of a single distro (which will then be
sorely tempted to become an M$ clone), or the standards will become generic to GNU/Linux so that
most/all distros are functionally interchangeable, or GNU/Linux will forever be a good idea that
never quite made it.

There is no fourth option.

Rex Deaver