recycling used stuf

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Tue Jul 27 01:37:14 CDT 2004

Surplus Exchange charges to drop off monitors.  Other than that, I agree
with what you said.

webgiant at juno.com wrote:

>>I just noticed this one guys you might be
>>interested in taking them up on the offer
>>and cleaning some bulky crap out of your
>>closets/basements etc.
>>
>>http://www.officedepot.com/promo.do?
>>file=/promo/pages/recycle.jsp
>>

>Above URL shrunk using TinyURL.co.uk:
>
>http://tinyurl.co.uk/tlfk
>

>>now till sep 5?  and its free as in freeky ;)
>>

>Free?  Think about what they're really saying:
>
>"We want to get a big tax break through donating thousands of dollars to charity in the form of
used hardware.  We want *you* to pay for the time and gas to bring the hardware to us, so that we
don't have to spend any time and effort collecting all the old computer things together in one
place.  Why don't you spend *your time and money* bringing stuff to us so that *we get the
charitable tax deduction* and not you?"

>Take your stuff to the Surplus Exchange instead.  They'll give you a receipt for this year's
taxes, and they'll take more than ONE ITEM PER DAY (read the fine print at the bottom of the Office
Depot link).

>If you can't make it up to 12th Street in the West Bottoms to donate to Surplus Exchange, find a
local thrift store and donate there.  They'll take more than ONE ITEM PER DAY, and also give you a
receipt too for this year's taxes.

>Its another scam to make you think you're getting something when what is really happening is that
you are giving something of value (a charitable tax deduction and/or a free supply of computer
hardware; plus your time, money, and GAS) to the corporation and getting nothing in return.