Low-cost multi-user Linux terminal server?

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Thu Jul 15 01:51:37 CDT 2004

webgiant at juno.com wrote:

>So a system which can support 1GB of RAM probably can support three users in a classroom setting
involving the writing of essays on the computer, but how fast does the processor need to be?  Can I
install your LTSP solution on a PentiumII-400Mhz system I've installed two 512MB SDRAM DIMMs into?
Or should the processor be at least 750Mhz to 850Mhz?

It will be painfully slow but it will work, for sure.

The bottleneck here is mostly the memory bandwidth. There's a lot of
memory related operations in OpenOffice.org.