HylaFAX?

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Tue Jul 13 00:28:40 CDT 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 June 2004 09:40 am, Rex Deaver wrote:
>

>>Need some advice on HylaFAX or other network faxing solutions.
>

> It does seem to be the accepted solution, although I'm not sure exactly why.
> Clients don't seem to have kept up.  The latest one for Mac is a beta
> released in 1996.  What outbound solution do you people who have it use?

The client I have (WHFC http://www.uli-eckhardt.de/whfc/) is dated 2003.
  If you are running Debian you will probably have to do the server
setup by hand - a bit of a pain. But once it is up and going it just
works. There are several folks around that do comercial support for
hylafax to set it up for you.

If you are running macs, you should be able to compile some linux client
for it, and there are sevral to pick from. (If not set up some Debian
desktops).

A couple of notes - there are lots of cards and fax machines around that
have buggy firmware - using the older protocol avoids a buch of these
problems.  Also, if your inside wiring is not twisted pair you will
often end up with modem performance.

You can run several lines with one server if you need to. We have it
setup to just email the faxes as a tiff attachment. You can also do fax
blocking based on the identifiyer string.

While Hylafax is a bit of a pain to setup - after tring 3 or 4 M$ fax
servers that were easy to set up, but never worked reliably I would
never go back.

I would guess that there is less fax development going on as it is
yesterdays technology and hopfully will go away some day, but right now
we see lots of over-seas customerers that for them FAX is high-tek.

--
!!!>> INCLUDE ALL TEXT IN TECHNICAL SUPPORT EMAIL REPLIES!!!!!!!
Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    		       WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434

If you shake a politician's hand, be sure count your fingers.