Low-cost multi-user Linux terminal server?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Jul 12 12:23:45 CDT 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 06:34 am, webgiant at juno.com wrote:

> What would, in your opinion, be the slowest set of hardware (one somewhat
> fast central server computer, and four somewhat slower PCs to be used as
> terminals) you would be able to entice a teenager into using for school
> purposes?

The problem I've always seen with running an XTerminal is that your Graphics,
RAM and CPU requirements are still significant, meaning that while you can
save doing new-vs-new over a workstation with serious local storage, and you
have advantages of centralised administration, the "salvage your old junk by
making them terminal servers" just hasn't semed to me like it works.

We haev some people here working for luminsoft.com though who have some
insight into this; they do something similar for local schools all the
time...