Nwtworking PowerMac to Linux to Windows

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Tue Jul 6 08:37:04 CDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:36:25 -0500 Jonathan Hutchins
<hutchins at tarcanfel.org> writes:
> On Sunday 04 July 2004 05:32 pm, Leo J Mauler wrote:
>
> Why not just move the files you want to share to to the linux
> machine, share them via samba to the Windows box and via
> netatalk to the Mac?  User files and shared files should be
> stored on a central server anyway.

Let me start by saying that your suggestion is an ideal situation.

The current situation is far from ideal.  The main use of transferring
files from the PowerMac to the PC will be to transfer my disabled
brother-in-law's musical compositions (his home is the location of the
PowerMac and PC in question) from his PowerMac to his PC, as his PC has
the CD-Burner on it, as well as the Adobe Premiere for his various
filmmaking endeavours.  The primary place for the "user files" in
question will be the PowerMac hard drive, other than the Adobe Premiere
files which will sit upon the PC.

The other problem is that the biggest hard drive on the Linux machine
will be 1.5GB in size, as I have no others larger than this to spare.
There will be enough room for the Linux server install, and maybe a gig
beyond that in leftover space.  There will not be enough room on the
machine for storing user files.

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how to get a network card for his
PowerMac.

While I agree that a central server would be the way to go, the lack of a
budget combined with the low-end hardware prevents a central server from
being the solution.  And since SAMBA lets you mount a Windows PC drive as
a directory in Linux, and Linux lets you share a directory to a Macintosh
via netatalk, in theory a Windows PC drive should be shareable to a
Macintosh through a Linux server.