Nwtworking PowerMac to Linux to Windows

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Jul 4 18:48:59 CDT 2004

Leo J Mauler wrote:
> I've got a PowerMac running Mac OS 8.1, and I'd like to link it up to a
> Linux server somehow.  I don't have the cash to buy a Macintosh SAMBA
> client ($120????) so I was thinking about trying out netatalk as NFS
> continues to frighten me (and Mac NFS clients are pricey too).
>
> Has anyone else ever managed this?  Does Mac OS 8.1 come pre-installed
> with all the stuff it needs for regular network connections?  The system
> already has a PCI Ethernet card, it connects to the Internet through a
> shared cable modem connection, and the Mac gets a dynamic IP from the
> DHCP server on the router.
>
> Part of the situation is that I'd like to link the PowerMac to certain
> hard drives on a Windows PC I have. Since there's no free Mac SAMBA
> client for pre-Mac OS X machines, I was thinking about a convoluted
> solution involving mounting the Windows PC drives over the network onto
> the Linux machine, then sharing those network mounted PC drives to the
> PowerMac via netatalk.

Leo, linux can talk mac netatalk, so you just network the mac in mac
ways.  The linux box looks and acts like a mac to the mac.  Mac attack!!

" Alternatives There are two free implementations of AppleTalk for
several kinds of UNIX machines and several more commercial ones. These
products allow you to run file services and print services natively to
Macintosh users, with no additional support required on the Macintosh.
The two free implementations are Netatalk, and CAP. What Samba offers MS
Windows users, these packages offer to Macs. For more info on these
packages, Samba, and Linux (and other UNIX-based systems), see
http://www.eats.com/linux_mac_win.html."