Nwtworking PowerMac to Linux to Windows

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sun Jul 4 13:30:16 CDT 2004

I've got a PowerMac running Mac OS 8.1, and I'd like to link it up to a
Linux server somehow.  I don't have the cash to buy a Macintosh SAMBA
client ($120????) so I was thinking about trying out netatalk as NFS
continues to frighten me (and Mac NFS clients are pricey too).

Has anyone else ever managed this?  Does Mac OS 8.1 come pre-installed
with all the stuff it needs for regular network connections?  The system
already has a PCI Ethernet card, it connects to the Internet through a
shared cable modem connection, and the Mac gets a dynamic IP from the
DHCP server on the router.

Part of the situation is that I'd like to link the PowerMac to certain
hard drives on a Windows PC I have. Since there's no free Mac SAMBA
client for pre-Mac OS X machines, I was thinking about a convoluted
solution involving mounting the Windows PC drives over the network onto
the Linux machine, then sharing those network mounted PC drives to the
PowerMac via netatalk.