Democrats Tap Open Source

Curt Box cbox at kc.rr.com
Thu Jul 1 14:08:49 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 01:17 pm, you wrote:

> >What drives me crazy are people who place their hands over their ears
> and think "La La La La La La" when someone expresses a view which differs
> from their own.
>
> Still don't understand what you're saying there.

You had stated what drives you crazy and I felt compelled to state what drives
me crazy... maybe I should have placed the comment in parentheses as it has
little bearing upon our open forum/dialog/discussion which seems to be
drifting away from focus. (with my assistance, of course)

> >This is the model I would refer to as capitalistic.. The "Lets make the
> >best product possible, using the best technique possible, that assures
>
> that >we can further our corporate interests and increase our
> monopolistic >stranglehold on the worlds information systems even if a
> bi-product of our >approach causes a censorship or derailment of
> superior technologies."
>
> And trying to have your cake and eat it too is pointless.
Nothing is pointless
> Look, either you want a successful economy or you don't.
I want a successful vibrant economy where anyone with a good/brilliant idea
can prosper. I do not want an economy where the Microsoft/Gates of the world
can seize control of a particular market and use their near unlimited
financial resources to crush, FUD or purchase all competitors. I'd like to
think that our county allows us at least a fighting chance to succeed. I also
want new cool stuff! LOL

> Giving everything away isn't going to get you anywhere.
I'm not a religious man, but there was a time when I could quote about 80% of
the King James version of the new testament. So here goes, just for fun...
"Give and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, shaken
together and running over..." (Luke 6:38) I'm not suggesting that everyone
should give away everthing they "own," just pointing out that it is possible
that generosity and giving in general does not make you less a man (woman)
it makes you more.
> Neither is spouting propaganda,
> although I know I'm as quick to do it as you just did.
Guilty as charged...:')

> Look, whether you like it or not, the majority of contributors to the
> linux kernel are under corporate salary, and do their work on corporate
> time.
I really like it alot!   (I also encourage donations to Texstar for his
impressive work on PCLinuxOS, since he is working without corporate
assistance.)

> Oh for crying out loud!
Tee Hee, Want a tissue? (For clarification: the previous comment was added to
break any accumulated tension and is inserted solely for the purpose of
comedy relief. Any similarity to childish ribbing is purely coincidental.)

> The entire point of my post is that people use
> open source for different reason.
I failed to recognize your point, from your prior comments I surmised you
where headed somewhere else...

> Some people like the whole sharing
> idea, other people to it because it's damn effective.  I'm an open
> source advocate, and have contributed to open source software.  I own a
> local company that will be releasing all of its software as open source.
> I've written research papers on the economic benefits of open source
> versus proprietary software, I could go on, but I won't.
I applaud your efforts and thank you for your contributions.

> I was not meaning to say that you are without principals, but merely
> pointing out that you and I differ on out principals.
Our respective principles may not be that far removed.

> Respectfully,
> Josh
Respectfully,
Curt