ASX Script

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Aug 31 21:38:40 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 11:30 am, Jason Clinton wrote:

> ASX will never be supported.

> Tell them to use standards instead of proprietary technology

Fine.  Write the script.  They don't have someone who can.

> as I did two years ago when they came on the air ...

Um, although they changed their callsign and their organization a few years
ago, they have been on the air for many more than two years.  They are the
NPR affiliate at CMSU.  (Do you mean when they started offering the audio
stream on the internet?)

I've had a discussion with the guy who's responsible for their on-line
streaming, and basically they're using "free software" - software that they
already had.  They don't have the full version of Windows Media Server up and
running, because with the kludged partial install they have they can stream
without having to pay Microsoft for the full version.  They have a PC with
three audio cards, and an under-paid engineer who's done his best, but hasn't
had the time or resources to build an OSS streaming server.

I've appealed here before for volunteers to work on the project, and offered
to provide hardware back when I could afford it. and received one
non-commital response.

You can sit back and bitch all you want, Jason, but it doesn't really advance
the cause.