backups to cd and other disks and maintaining file attribs

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Aug 29 19:52:58 CDT 2004

On Sunday 29 August 2004 06:25 pm, Dustin Decker wrote:

> > Anyway, he cited DVD-RAM, Magneto-Optical devices and
> > compared them to the CD/DVD RW discs for their superior durability.
> > What do these devices cost these days, Jason?  How about the
> > media for them?

> These are generally a bit more expensive.

Than what?

> If you can afford to go USB or Firewire with a
> pair of external drives you can rotate through (at around $300.00 - $500.00
> each depending on what you buy and where) you might find yourself in better
> shape.

120-160G USB/FireWire drives are down under $200 now, with USB-only cheaper
still.

> Again, can't really speak on these, but I expect they're doing their own
> proprietary format on a regular 4.7GB piece of media.

Like I said, the size indicates they'd be double-sided, so it's just a
question of whether they're bragging that you can use a double-sided disk and
turn it over, or if they actually have dual heads and can read/write both
sides without removing the disk.  Format would be standard, so no need to
worry about propietary hardare.

These days I would think that you'd have a better chance of replacing that
failed RAID controller from ebay or somewhere.  Do a search of newsgroups for
someone who has one and does/doesn't like it and offer to trade them straight
up for a current Adaptec or something like that.