backups to cd and other disks and maintaining file attribs

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Aug 29 16:46:10 CDT 2004

On Sunday 29 August 2004 11:47 am, Jason Clinton wrote:

Which is perplexing, because I don't know if it's an update to KMail that has
rendered his posts as seperate text attachments again.

Anyway, he cited DVD-RAM, Magneto-Optical devices and compared them to the
CD/DVD RW discs for their superior durability.

What do these devices cost these days, Jason?  How about the media for them?

Used 30G DLT Tape drives are about 150 on PriceWatch, new ones start at about
$700, and the cartridges list at about $40/30G.

I saw what looked like an 8G DVD recorder at CompUSA the other day - that
would be a reasonable size to back up a lot of systems.  Anybody know if
there is 8G DVD media, or what it costs?