cdrw and dvd rw used as a floppy

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Sun Aug 29 11:27:47 CDT 2004

hanasaki wrote:

> Do you usually use --u8 or --utf8?

I haven't tried that option yet. My music library is the only thing that
has UTF-8 in the file names and I haven't written those files directly
to DVD-RAM.

>   You state UDF is the norm because "other file systems are not
> optimized for use with discs like UDF is".  Forgetting the possible
> comments on grammar, why are you using ext3?  For the journal?

They way I've interpreted what I've read is this: UDF has components for
redundacy built in to it. With DVD-RAM, that's not useful. ext3 is a
fast file system with very little computational overhead so I can use
those extra CPU cycles to be a compression nazi.

>   and, as long as you have experience with both, would you compare
> experiences of one vs the other along with info on how you did get
> ext3 on the disk instead of udf.

If you have DVD-RAM and you only need to get the file in Unix, then use
ext3. Otherwise, UDF is what you want for both CD(+-)RW and DVD(+-)(RW/RAM).

>   I had been looking for something is compatible with the Win cdrw
> disks so it is no longer necessary to keep making/burning ISOs.  I
> think you are saying this is it?  thanks

Yes, exactly. But if you want Win32 compatibility you must use UDF.